ADVERTISEMENT

LSU FOOTBALL What will happen.

LSU5656

Hall Of Fame
Gold Member
Sep 30, 2008
Houston, TX
There is always a lot of "talking" about what will happen until the rubber meets the road, but there are many issues to this deal that people in the public miss.

- You have the No. 1 recruiting class right now. That is a lot to give up without a sure bet coach in the bag. You win due to your players as much as coaching. Coaches ride certain players to a NC all the time Fisher included.
- Just because you have the $$ to spend does not mean you HAVE to. Its a "grand scheme" 50-100 million dollar roll of the dice in reality.
- Miles will make the case that "next year" is the year everyone knew was a great year coming. The great class including Fournette would be Jrs. and this year there are still tons of FR and SOPHs staring this year.
- Even if they believe it is past time for him to go, lots of people involved with LSU have respect for Miles as a person and even when they part with him, they will want to have him leave the correct way. Miles has never screwed the program, or run it in the ground like Mack Brown or Urnam Meyer did at FL. He is just not living up to lofty expectations. That is no reason to run him in the ground so when push comes to shove that desire will have influence on the final decision.
- With all of the coaching vacancies this year and the recent busts at programs like Texas, I don't think they will fire Miles and then go through a formal each for a month etc. Too much risk and Miles has not been that bad from a risk stand point.

I have not reached out to people I think are close to the situation, but from the perimeter I think it goes like this:

1. IF we can get Fisher (or similar), they do it now. Best chance to preserve what is left of the No. 1 recruiting class and get a suitable replacement.
2. If we cannot get a proven coach soon, and i mean real soon, Miles will be here next year.
3. If Miles is here next year a plan will be put in place for him to exit with minimal disruption to the program from a recruiting standpoint and continuity.

That is my feeling.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News