ADVERTISEMENT

LSU FOOTBALL LSU Mailbag questions?

I'm back from my weekend off with the family.

Show of hands who was surprised by Jayden Daniels' performance? 🖐 Like, where did that come from? Insanely impressive for sure. Perhaps it finally clicked for him or was just taking longer than needed to feel comfortable or trust WRs. IF he plays like THAT for the rest of the season, LSU is capable of winning most (or all) the remainder of the way.

That being said, any LSU team or recruiting questions this week y'all want answered?

Drop 'em below!

RECRUITING Recruiting notes heading into Ole Miss game

LSU is still looking to fill some holes in its 2023 class, including a defensive tackle, as someone asked about that position group recently on the board. There's still a few of guys Jamar Cain & staffers are communicating with (Jimmy mentioned Jordan Hall as one) but at this point it feels like they don't lead for any and haven't really uncovered anyone yet in senior evaluations. My best guess on a DT in 2023 will likely be transfer portal, which is fine if you can find someone like Wingo and his production.

Some good news for the Tigers recently: four-star DB Ryan Yaites has publicly shut down his recruitment. He's locked in with LSU despite a push from Oklahoma.
Login to view embedded media
As far as a few guys coming in this Saturday for the early afternoon game against Ole Miss, here's some early names expected to be in Baton Rouge...

-- Four-star Isaac Smith, who was at Ole Miss' game last weekend. There was some back and forth on whether he'd make it to LSU this weekend but it sounds like he's coming in with some family members. I have a FC in on him to LSU after our conversation about how much he has loved the Tigers and how long he wanted this offer. It definitely feels like at this moment it might come down to LSU and Ole Miss for the Mississippi native.
-- LSU 2024 TE commit Tayvion Galloway will be down for his first game day experience in Tiger Stadium. Galloway has been lighting it up throughout his junior season and making plays every Friday night. He has racked up 29 grabs for 621 yards and six TDs. He also had a pick-6 and two other interceptions.
Also coming in this weekend...
Login to view embedded media Login to view embedded media

LSU BASKETBALL Media picks Kentucky to win 2023 SEC Men’s Basketball Championship; LSU in the middle of the pack

Kentucky was predicted to win the 2023 Southeastern Conference men’s basketball championship in voting by a select panel of both SEC and national media members.

Reigning national player of the year Oscar Tshiebwe was the choice of the media for SEC Men’s Basketball Player of the Year. Joining Tshiebwe on the All-SEC First Team are Nick Smith Jr. (Arkansas), Colin Castleton (Florida), Sahvir Wheeler (Kentucky), and Santiago Vescovi (Tennessee). All-SEC Second Team selections include Brandon Miller (Alabama), Jahvon Quinerly (Alabama), KJ Williams (LSU), Josiah-Jordan James (Tennessee), and Zakai Zeigler (Tennessee).

Points were compiled on a 14-13-12-11-10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 basis. Each media member also voted for a five-player All-SEC Team. Ties were not broken.

The 2022-23 campaign begins November 7, with conference play set to begin December 28. The 2023 SEC Tournament will be March 8-12 at Bridgestone Arena in Nashville, Tenn.

First Team All-SEC
Nick Smith Jr.Arkansas
G​
Fr.​
6-5​
185​
Jacksonville, Ark.
Colin CastletonFlorida
F​
5th​
6-11​
250​
Deland, Fla.
Oscar TshiebweKentucky
F​
Sr.​
6-9​
260​
Lubumbashi, Democratic Republic of the Congo
Sahvir WheelerKentucky
G​
Sr.​
5-9​
180​
Houston, Texas
Santiago VescoviTennessee
G​
Sr.​
6-3​
192​
Montevideo, Uruguay

Second Team All-SEC
Brandon MillerAlabama
F​
Fr.​
6-9​
200​
Antioch, Tenn.
Jahvon QuinerlyAlabama
G​
Sr.​
6-1​
175​
Hackensack, N.J.
KJ WilliamsLSU
F​
5th​
6-10​
250​
Cleveland, Miss.
Josiah-Jordan JamesTennessee
G​
Sr.​
6-6​
224​
Charleston, S.C.
Zakai ZeiglerTennessee
G​
So.​
5-9​
171​
Long Island, N.Y.

SEC Player of the Year
Oscar TshiebweKentucky
F​
Sr.​
6-9​
260​
Lubumbashi, Democratic Republic of the Congo

Predicted Order Of Finish
1.Kentucky
2.Arkansas
3.Tennessee
4.Auburn
5.Alabama
6.Texas A&M
7.Florida
8.LSU
9.Ole Miss
10.Mississippi State
11.Missouri
12.Vanderbilt
13.Georgia
14.South Carolina

LSU FOOTBALL Some things I have noticed with LSU's personnel

I love rewatching and rewinding games just to get a look at as many players as possible in any given play. I wanted to pass along some of the things I have noticed with certain guys on the team.

Jay Ward: Jay has improved in both his angles and overall discipline. He still shows a corner's ability in coverage, lacking some of the high level quick twitch characteristics and traits we see with guys at the position, but it is evident that he grades out really well in this regard for a safety. His tackling continues to improve, largely due to his improved angles and body positioning upon contact, but he still needs to max out his potential. He also has the slight frame thing working against him, although he does look like he addes some weight.

It is obvious Ward has a much better understanding of the position and has put in more film time than he did in the past. He is diagnosing much quicker and flies to the ball with confidence and anticipation more than reacting. Overall, he is much improved in both run support, open field tackling, zone replacement and is still one of the better coverage safeties in the nation.

Mekhi Wingo: I really like this kid's game. Wingo is going to have a long career because he can provide interior pressure and is disruptive in the running game by shedding blocks and shooting gaps. He utilizes his natural leverage advantage very well and shows explosive power, which he uses in unison to drive blockers back. His quick first step also plays a key role in his success and his explosiveness helps him disengage from blockers as well.

It does look like his high energy style of play can wear him down at times, but he does seem to respond well after getting a breather in rotation. But when you add his somewhat undersized frame to some of the fatigue due to exertion, his effectiveness wanes quite a bit. Nonetheless, the guy is a bonafide stud and one could only wish to have seen the 3-headed monster of Roy/Wingo/Smith play out this year.

Will Campbell: Boy, Will is going to be a stud. Of all the things that have stood out this year, the most impressive may be his ability to battle and regain position when beat. There were numerous times this year that he was rocking on his heels, being bent back and driven back a bit, only for him to reposition his hands, find the ability to rebalance and anchor and lockout the edge rusher. It is really impressive stuff. He has shown some exceptional backbend and hip flexion, which are the physical traits needed to pull this off. He has also shown that he is pretty light on his feet and has the natural strength to move the line of scrimmage when he fires off low and can get some leg drive.

Another year in the weight program will do wonders on his game. There's a lot of areas he could improve, but one that stands out to me is winning the initial hand war. He has shot his hands too early at times, been too wide at other moments and even lacked some of the impactful punch coaches desire to see. It's not that these are weakness per se, but they are definitely areas he could improve in.

Malik Nabers: LSU's wide receiver corps is in a strong position heading into next season and Malik Nabers is a big reason why. He has an ever improving overall game that could make him one of the best receivers in the country next season if he continues to progress. He has shown some new releases this year, utilizing his wiggle and solid short area quickness. He is adding variations of tempo into some of his routes showing confidence in his knowledge and skillset. Justin Jefferson and Ja'Marr Chase are exceptional at changing pace, which allows them to become vertical threats despite not being burners simply by lulling defenders to sleep at times. Nabers is developing some of those same attributes.

Nabers has also shown that his ability to high point the ball has translated from the high school to college level. He can make the acrobatic catches reserved for those with elite athleticism. I would like to see him improve on consistently creating sharp angles out of some breaks and becoming more sound in positioning when run blocking, but he is on his way to being a 10 year NFL vet.

What are some other guys you want me to break down or key in on over the next few contests?

OFF TOPIC Catholic High School Little Rock

Most of the time I post highlights of my son’s football, but this video is pretty awesome for one of only two Catholic high schools in Arkansas that play sports, one is all boys and the other is all girls, Mount St. Mary (also in Little Rock).

Notable Catholic High Grads : Stephen Jones, Jerry Jones Jr, French Hill (Current US Congressman) and Gil Gerard (actor in Buck Rogers of the 25th Century, Barrett’s, and Airplane ‘77)

Disclaimer: not as many of my fellow. Catholics in Arkansas as in South Louisiana!!!

Vegas vs the AP ... (follow the money)

AP always has their own agenda, this year especially, to pump up the media darlings ND, USC, UCLA, etc. I just love it that the mony guys yawn. Check these:

Texas (22) vs Okie St (8). Texas by 6
UCLA (11) vs Oregon (12) Oregon by 6
Ole Miss (9) vs LSU, unranked LSU by 1.5

And to think that for years, we let these morons decide the national champion.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT