ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer DL names LSU in his top 3

Josaiah Stewart set a school record in his true freshman season at Coastal Carolina with 12.5 sacks in 2021.

In 2022, he had 36 total tackles, 10 TFLs, 3.5 sacks and one forced fumble. He named a top three Monday of LSU, Michigan and USC.

He's one of the top players in the portal. Rivals has him at No. 37.

Login to view embedded media
Login to view embedded media

RECRUITING Couple of Sunday notes

Sunday wrapped up the official visitor weekend in Baton Rouge for seven prospects: LSU commits Zalance Heard, Tyree Adams, Ashton Stamps, Dylan Carpenter and Kaleb Jackson, plus TE targets Jackson McGohan and Ka’Morreun Pimpton.

LSU has all of those commitments locked up and nothing to worry about as they’ll sign early.

Sounds like a great weekend overall with dinner in the middle of Tiger Stadium under a tent plus time at Brian Kelly’s house. I saw some pictures on Instagram, I can’t recall seeing a tent like that before in the past on the field. I’m sure that was a unique and fun experience for families.

I’m very confident in my McGohan FutureCast to LSU after this weekend. Sounds like it’ll be a toss up on Pimpton, who is tight with the Vanderbilt staff recruiting him. We’ll also have to see if he squeezes in a Texas visit after the Longhorns just visited.

The next week is setting up to be a big one with Javien Toviano announcing his decision Thursday followed by OVs from Isaac Smith and Desmond Ricks. No days off for this staff as we’re in the final days/weeks before the early signing period.

LSU FOOTBALL Team Notebook Nuggets

Jimmy and myself have been digging around, talking to sources around the program and players and wanted to pass along some information we've gathered.

Obviously, we've seen a few names hit the portal, like Jack Bech, while Kayshon Boutte announced he's returning for his senior season and Jay Ward announced he's declaring for the NFL Draft. But we've also been told it's more than likely that Jaquelin Roy will be testing the NFL waters along with BJ Ojulari. It sounded as though Ojulari has gone back and forth about the decision with the latest information coming to me this morning that he's going pro.

In regards to the transfer portal, here's a few additional positions to keep an eye on moving forward... one to two corners, a safety, a linebacker, a running back and at least one defensive tackle. It didn't sound as though center was on the list because they've been happy with the production of Charles Turner and like where he'll be after another offseason in the weight room.

The Tigers are still looking to add to their 2023 class with another DT and TE (or two). They offered DT Jamel Howard last night while TE Jackson McGohan will be taking an official this weekend. Still waiting on word in regards to TE Ka'Morreun Pimpton and whether he'll actually visit or not. As I recently said, Pimpton likes Vanderbilt way more than anyone anticipated just with the way they've recruited him.

A few other things, the staff really likes the development of Quency Wiggins, who is coming along. Brian Kelly actually mentioned Wiggins in his last press conference as a player who's going to benefit from these extra bowl practices, along with a few other players. Wiggins is a guy that some believe can make an impact next season. I also heard that things are moving along great for Maason Smith and his rehab process and that he's feeling great, so like many of you, I'm looking forward to seeing him next season in the purple and gold.

As far as Kayshon returning, I'm told it was kept very hush hush and not many at all knew what he decided. Sounds like he was told he's a third or fourth rounder this year so he decided to stay another year to improve stock and earn his degree. But yeah, the decision to return wasn't shared by Kayshon to many people at all.

PORTAL OFFERS SO FAR:
TE Kyle Morlock
DT Braden Fiske
DE Bradyn Swinson

Saturday morning notes

A few things to pass along:

All of LSU’s official visitors showed yesterday. It’ll be a big weekend for impressing TEs Jackson McGohan and Ka’Morreun Pimpton. I think McGohan was in prior to this visit but still some work to do on Pimpton, who’s still committed to Vanderbilt.

The LHSAA title games have been happening in the Dome and what a slate it was yesterday.

LSU 2024 priority target Ju’Juan Johnson was special but Lafayette Christian came up just short and lost in the last minute to St. Thomas More.

21/34, 347 yards, 3 TD
31 rushes, 238 yards, 2 TD

With 585 total yards, Johnson set a Louisiana state championship record. LSU had a divide and conquer approach yesterday as some were on campus for the OVs and some were at the Dome to watch the games, which also included the night cap of Destrehan beating Ruston. Kolaj Cobbins is also a priority for next year.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT