ADVERTISEMENT

RECRUITING Late, late night notes

Tuesday night LSU landed commitments from 2025 OT Brett Bordelon, transfers Bradyn Swinson, Paris Shand and Jalen Lee and they still weren’t done.

The Tigers were working late tonight trying to secure a few final pieces and while it doesn’t look like things will go their way on Isaac Smith, it sounds like they’ll be pulling off a flip afterall after checking in with sources.

I’ll be keeping tabs tomorrow on LSU to flip Vanderbilt TE commitment Ka’Morreun Pimpton when he signs. This one went down to the very end from the sound of things and was a difficult decision for him.

LSU also has TEs Mac Markway and Jackson McGohan signing tomorrow.

COMMITMENT Brett Bordelon commits to LSU

I don’t think anyone is surprised by this commitment but 2025 OT Brett Bordelon announced on Instagram that he’s committed to LSU.

He’s the younger brother of Bo Bordelon. His dad, Ben, played at LSU in the 90s. He also has offers from Texas, Alabama and Georgia.

Bordelon is the 2nd commit in the 2025 class, joining Jaylen Bell.

Login to view embedded media

RECRUITING Monday morning notes

Happy Early Signing Period week!

LSU is coming off a busy, busy weekend of hosting commitments and targets as it was the last weekend for visits to happen before the signing period starts Wednesday.

Let's get to it:

Desmond Ricks & Isaac Smith

LSU hosted both uncommitted prospects for official visits and rolled out the red carpet from Diamond Dinner in Tiger Stadium to time spent at Brian Kelly's house, the Tigers are hoping to finish off their 2023 class by adding both of these DBs. I have FutureCasts in on both from quite some time ago.

LSU's biggest competition for Ricks is Alabama and Florida -- he was coming off visits to both and both made up considerable ground as LSU has been the favorite for some time. Coming off this weekend, I still like the Tigers in this situation but that talk could just be the high coming off the visit. Ricks isn't announcing until Thursday and I believe we'll have a clearer picture before then but right now it's anybody's guess but my gut is making my still lean slightly toward LSU.

Smith's recruitment has been an interesting one. LSU is the school he wanted an offer from the most but they didn't enter the picture until September all the while Mississippi State has been on him since Day 1 and for a kid like Smith that seems to matter. He was at State and with Mike Leach the day before he had his heart incident. With Zach Arnett named the new head coach for the Bulldogs, I'm sure that keeps them in a close running with the Tigers. After doing some digging, it sounds like Smith is torn and may not have a decision made until Tuesday night.

I'm not moving my FC off of LSU on either Ricks or Smith right now but if I get concrete information in the next day or so that changes things then I'll definitely keep y'all posted.

Bradyn Swinson

Obviously, LSU picked up its first transfer portal commitment Sunday in WR Aaron Anderson, who I didn't think would announce until after the Early Signing Period but I guess he was ready to get it over with. I'm expecting Oregon transfer Bradyn Swinson to hop aboard soon too. There's a clear path to the field for Swinson, who would be used as a JACK LB and fill the BJ Ojulari role, as either a starter or in a heavy rotation. Heck, the way Swinson and his dad are posting on social media, they're being totally open and clear with how much they loved the LSU visit over the weekend.

Swinson is now 6-5, 233ish and a Georgia native with multiple years of eligibility left. LSU would certainly bring him a lot closer to home than Oregon.

OTHER TRANSFERS TO WATCH
Denver Harris
Galvin Holmes
Jalen Lee
Gharin Stansbury

RECRUITING Who's next for LSU?

Entering the Early Signing Period on Wednesday the LSU Tigers sit with 25 high school commitments and looking for more.

"We're going to identify the best prospects throughout the country," head coach Brian Kelly said, "and you'll see that in this signing class.

"But our base will be Louisiana and the South. When you're LSU and you have a brand so recognizable throughout the country you can't have blinders on either."

Kelly admitted in total the 2023 class is likely to high anywhere from the mid to high 30s, which means they have roughly 15 additional players to add starting this week and then again for National Signing Day in February.

Take a look a some players who we think could land with the Tigers over the next few days/weeks.

HIGH SCHOOL PROSPECTS

Desmond Ricks - Nothing has changed from my update yesterday, at this time I still feel like LSU has a slight edge over Florida and Alabama. We'll continue to monitor over the next 48 hours until Ricks announces Thursday.

Isaac Smith - This one truly feel like a tossup. Hoping to have something more solid on it later today, but I really think Smith is making his final decision tonight between LSU and Mississippi State. The dream school vs. the hometown school. He told me he's announcing his decision at 11:30 a.m. CT Wednesday. Stay tuned.

** Ka'Morreun Pimpton - I didn't put him on the list in the article because I just don't feel like LSU leads. I haven't heard any buzz that would lead me to believe he's leaning LSU, although, the Tigers did go all out to try and bring him in. He's been very loyal to Vanderbilt and has great relationships there and then there's Texas. In my opinion, if he announces for LSU tomorrow then I'll call it a pleasant surprise because we know how much the Tigers want an additional TE.

TRANSFER PORTAL PLAYERS

Paris Shand - I just posted a story on Shand this morning after interviewing him about his LSU visit. He took other trips to Rutgers and Ole Miss but it sounds like LSU is the leader at this point.

Jalen Lee - As soon as the Florida transfer hit the portal he was one I circled that would be a potential target for the Tigers, who desperately need to add a DT to the group. I'm also told that Lee and his girlfriend (both from Louisiana) are expecting their first child together so that seems to only help LSU's chances too.

Bradyn Swinson - The Oregon transfer is another weekend visitor who thoroughly enjoyed his time at LSU and has a history with Jamar Cain, who recruited him in high school for Arizona State. Another transfer that seems to be favoring LSU plus he's from Georgia and Brian Kelly has mentioned wanting to recruit from Louisiana and the South.

Aaron Anderson talks about how LSU will use him: 'My heart has always been with LSU'

The transfer WR Aaron Anderson spoke to G Sportz about returning home to Louisiana to play for LSU after his one year at Alabama. You can read the interview HERE but below is a few quotes from Anderson.

"My heart has always been with LSU & I knew this where I needed to be," Anderson said. "I loved my time at Alabama, but I had to do what was best for my career. The coaches showed me a lot of different ways they're going to get me the ball & that was a major factor. I know I'll be able to make plays returning kicks, but I can't wait to show my skills at receiver too."

"With the receivers we're going to have next season, I don't see any team that'll be able to stick us man to man," Anderson said. "I've been texting with Kyren Lacy & Malik Nabers already, so I'm just ready to get to work so we can do something special."

"I like how they don't plan to use me as just a slot receiver," Anderson said. "I'll be playing outside too which I'm very comfortable at either position. I feel like I'll be able to make plays no matter where I'm lined up at & once I get the ball in my hands I'll know what to do with it (chuckles)."

LSU FOOTBALL Updates from BK

— BJ Ojulari and Mekhi Garner will not play in bowl game as they prep for NFL

— Jay Ward and Jarrick Bernard-Converse will be starting CBs vs Purdue

— Jayden Daniels is improving with ankle injury and if Tigers played tomorrow he would be ready

— BK is expecting to sign mid to high 30s with a combination of high school recruits and transfers

— Landon Ibieta, Quency Wiggins and Laterrance Welch have flashed during bowl practice. BK calls Ibieta a guy who can really catch the ball.

OFF TOPIC Meanwhile, the NCAA continues to set records

In inconsistency.

This year, they granted a waiver to all redshirts in the post season that allows them to play and maintain their redshirt even if they have already used up their four games. Coulda used this last year, eh?

Also, a tight end with Oregon has reportedly been granted his NINTH year of eligibility due to injuries, etc. Nine years?? He apparently is still deciding whether to go to the NFL or just start drawing his Social Security.

RECRUITING Watch Javien Toviano make his commitment at noon

I doubt y'all need a reminder but just in case: five-star CB Javien Toviano will make his college commitment today live on Rivals' Youtube page starting at 12 p.m. CT.

My FutureCast has been on LSU for quite some time and I won't be changing it now.

RECRUITING Updated Friday morning notes

Visitors this weekend:

COMMITMENTS
Christian Brathwaite
Rickie Collins
Trey Holly
Kylin Jackson
Khai Prean

TARGETS
Desmond Ricks
Isaac Smith
Paris Shand (Arizona transfer)
Bradyn Swinson (Oregon transfer)

No matter who or how many they take in portal, I'm not anticipating any portal movement until the Early Signing Period has passed. I do think there's been some additional interest and conversations and a few offers that haven't gone out yet.

TIGERS IN PORTAL
Antoine Sampah (was not on the 2022 roster nor with team)
Phillip Webb (was not on the 2022 roster nor with team)
Jack Bech - Committed to TCU
Damarius McGhee
Raydarious Jones - Committed to Mississippi State
Desmond Little
Kole Taylor
Kolbe Fields
Cam Wire
Derrick Davis
Marcus Dumervil
Xavier Hill
Jaelyn Davis-Robinson

TRANSFER OFFERS
Kyle Morlock (Committed to Florida State)
Braden Fiske
Bradyn Swinson
Josaiah Stewart (Committed to Michigan)
Kyon Barrs (Committed to USC)
Paris Shand

OTHER TRANSFERS TO WATCH
Aaron Anderson
Denver Harris
Galvin Holmes
Jalen Lee
Gharin Stansbury

ALSO...
Tigers beginning their true bowl practice schedule today and we speak to Brian Kelly tomorrow after practice so stay tuned for that. Should have a clear idea of who's playing and who's not and who else may hit the portal.

https://twitter.com/gharinstansbury/status/1603581246361153536?s=46&t=U7CPd2BpKzN_LLSPrsZjYw
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT