ADVERTISEMENT

LSU DC Matt House nominated for Broyles Award

LSU defensive coordinator and linebackers coach Matt House is among 51 coaches from across the country who are nominees for the 2022 Broyles Award, which is presented annually to the top assistant coach in college football.

The Broyles Award was created in 1996 recognizing legendary coach Frank Broyles’ legacy of selecting and developing outstanding assistants during his hall of fame career at Arkansas.

The 51 nominees in this year’s class were selected from approximately 1,500 assistant coaches representing 131 FBS programs across the country. The Broyles Award selection process includes members of the Football Writers Association of America, broadcasters, a college football hall of fame committee and current college head coaches.

In his first year with the Tigers, House has transformed the LSU defense, taking a unit that returned only three starters from a year ago and molded it into one of the best in the SEC. The Tigers are currently riding a 4-game winning streak, have climbed to as high as No. 6 in the nation, and have secured a spot in the SEC Championship Game against Georgia.

Some of the highlights for the LSU defense under House include: held Top 10 ranked Ole Miss scoreless for the final 44 minutes in a 45-20 victory; held Alabama without a TD in the first half for first time all year and limited Crimson Tide to just nine points through three quarters (fewest all season) in the win; and held Arkansas to its fewest points (10), rushing yards (121) and total yards (237) all season.

Individual standouts on the LSU defense include linebacker Harold Perkins, who has twice been named SEC Defensive Player of the Week as well as Walter Camp National Defensive Player of the Week along with defensive end BJ Ojulari, who has earned SEC Defensive Lineman of the Week honors twice in 2022.

LSU’s defense goes into the UAB game ranked among the SEC leaders in points allowed (21.0), total defense (347.2 yards per game), turnovers gained (16), and redzone defense (75.6 percent).

OFF TOPIC Logging in

Something happened and I got logged out on my phone. I can’t get logged back in for some reason. I can log into on my iPad, but not phone. I use login info on phone and it tells me I need to subscribe. On my iPad it says my subscription is good through 8/23.

Can someone help. My habit is to check tiger details during lunch and I have to wait until I get home. Lol

LSU FOOTBALL LSU focused on next opponent, not looking ahead to SEC Championship

LSU has locked up the SEC West and already know they face Georgia in the SEC Championship on December 3 in Atlanta. But before that trip happens, LSU has to take care of business this weekend at home against UAB for Senior Night followed by a regular season finale against struggling Texas A&M, who will be looking "piss in their cornflakes."

Ali Gaye said it best, the job is not done: "We don't just want the division, we're trying to go higher. This is just a step along the way."

The Tigers currently sit at No. 6 in the College Football Playoff rankings. They have to win these last two games, beat UGA and likely need some others to lose to have a shot at a final four spot. But first thing's first, take care of UAB at home this weekend.

Jayden Daniels a semifinalist for the Davey O'Brien Award

LSU’s Jayden Daniels has been selected as one of 21 semifinalists for the 2022 Davey O’Brien Award, which is presented annually to the nation’s best quarterback, the O’Brien Selection Committee announced on Tuesday.

Daniels, in his first year at LSU after transferring from Arizona State, has guided the Tigers to a No. 6 national ranking and a berth in the SEC Championship Game. LSU is 8-2 overall and clinched the SEC Western Divisions with its win over Arkansas on Saturday.

Daniels is the only player in the SEC to rank among the top 10 in the league in both rushing and passing yards. He’s also one of only three quarterbacks nationally to have rushed for 600 yards and pass for 2,000 yards. Daniels goes into the UAB game with 629 rushing yards and 2,080 yards. His 10 rushing TDs ties for the most among all quarterbacks in the FBS.

Through 10 games, Daniels has completed 195-of-283 passes with 14 touchdowns and only two interceptions. His 24 TDs accounted for (10 rushing, 14 passing) rank No. 7 in LSU’s single-season history.

Earlier this year, Daniels became the first LSU quarterback to rush for 100 yards and pass for 200 yards in a game decided in regulation and he’s done it twice this season (vs. Florida State and Ole Miss). He also became the first player in LSU history to rush for three touchdowns and pass for three TDs in a game decided in regulation.

Daniels earned SEC Offensive Player of the Week honors in back-to-back weeks following wins over Ole Miss and Alabama.

In alphabetical order, the semifinalists are: Stetson Bennett of Georgia, LSU’s Jayden Daniels, Max Duggan of TCU, UTSA’s Frank Harris, Sam Hartman of Wake Forest, Tennessee’s Hendon Hooker, Drake Maye of North Carolina, Coastal Carolina’s Grayson McCall, J.J. McCarthy of Michigan, SMU’s Tanner Mordecai, Bo Nix of Oregon, Washington’s Michael Penix Jr., Austin Reed of WKU, Utah’s Cameron Rising, Will Rogers of Mississippi State, Ohio’s Kurtis Rourke, C.J. Stroud of Ohio State, UCLA’s Dorian Thompson-Robinson, Jordan Travis of Florida State, USC’s Caleb Williams and Bryce Young of Alabama.

Nine players–Bennett, Harris, Hartman, Hooker, McCall, Rogers, Stroud, Williams and Young–are repeat semifinalists. Young won the 2021 Davey O’Brien Award, while Stroud was one of three finalists last year.

The list is comprised of eight seniors, nine juniors, three sophomores and one freshman, and consists of players from nine FBS conferences. The Pac-12 Conference and Southeastern Conference are tied for the most honorees with five apiece.

The next step in the process will be to select the award’s three finalists based on voting from the Davey O’Brien National Selection Committee as well as the second round of the Davey O’Brien Fan Vote, which will take place on the award’s three social media accounts—Instagram, Twitter and Facebook. The top five vote getters on each platform will receive bonus committee member ballots which will be added to the votes cast by the National Selection Committee.

To participate in the Fan Vote, fans must like the original Davey O’Brien Award post highlighting the respective quarterback. The three finalists will be tabbed on Tuesday, Nov. 29. The winner will be announced live on Thursday, Dec. 8 on The Home Depot College Football Awards on ESPN.

The Davey O’Brien Foundation was created in 1977, and the National Quarterback Award, the oldest and most prestigious college quarterback award, was first issued in 1981. Over its time, the Davey O’Brien Foundation has given away more than $1.2 million in scholarships and university grants to help high school and college athletes transform leadership on the field into leadership in life.

In 1938, O’Brien, who was a star quarterback for TCU, became the first player ever to win the Heisman Trophy, Maxwell Award and Walter Camp Award in the same year. He was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 1955.

2022 Davey O’Brien Award Semifinalists

Stetson Bennett, Georgia, Sr., 5-11, 190, Blackshear, Ga.

Jayden Daniels, LSU, Jr., 6-3, 200, San Bernardino, Calif.

Max Duggan, TCU, Sr., 6-2, 210, Council Bluffs, Iowa

Frank Harris, UTSA, Sr., 6-0, 205, Schertz, Texas

Sam Hartman, Wake Forest, Jr., 6-1, 210, Charlotte, N.C.

Hendon Hooker, Tennessee, Sr., 6-4, 218, Greensboro, N.C.

Drake Maye, North Carolina, R-Fr., 6-4, 220, Huntersville, N.C.

Grayson McCall, Coastal Carolina, Jr., 6-3, 215, Indian Trail, N.C.

J.J. McCarthy, Michigan, So., 6-3, 196, La Grange Park, Ill.

Tanner Mordecai, SMU, Sr., 6-3, 214, Waco, Texas

Bo Nix, Oregon, Sr., 6-2, 213, Pinson, Ala.

Michael Penix Jr., Washington, Jr., 6-3, 213, Tampa, Fla.

Austin Reed, WKU, Sr., 6-2, 230, St. Augustine Beach, Fla.

Cameron Rising, Utah, Jr., 6-2, 218, Ventura, Calif.

Will Rogers, Mississippi State, Jr., 6-2, 210, Brandon, Miss.

Kurtis Rourke, Ohio, Jr., 6-5, 216, Oakville, Ontario, Canada

C.J. Stroud, Ohio State, So., 6-3, 218, Inland Empire, Calif.

Dorian Thompson-Robinson, UCLA, Sr., 6-1, 205, Las Vegas, Nev.

Jordan Travis, Florida State, Jr., 6-1, 212, West Palm Beach, Fla.

Caleb Williams, USC, So., 6-1, 215, Washington, D.C.

Bryce Young, Alabama, Jr., 6-0, 194, Pasadena, Calif.

LSU BASEBALL LSU fall baseball Purple-Gold World Series this

This weekend’s LSU fall baseball activities are highlighted by the annual three-game intra-squad Purple-Gold World Series Friday through Sunday in Alex Box Stadium, Skip Bertman Field.

Game 1 is set for 4 p.m. CT on Friday, Game 2 starts at 12 p.m. CT on Saturday, and first pitch for Game 3 is 2:30 p.m. CT on Sunday.

Senior first baseman/DH Cade Beloso will captain the Purple team, and senior outfielder/infielder Gavin Dugas will captain the Gold squad. The team rosters will be announced later this week.

All three intra-squad games are free and open to the general public. The gates to the stadium will open 15 minutes prior to first pitch each day.

Free parking is available in the Alex Box Stadium lots on Friday and Sunday; however, fans attending Saturday’s baseball scrimmage are asked to park in the free Hayfield Lot on Gourrier Avenue due to the LSU-UAB football game in Tiger Stadium.

The Purple-Gold World Series will signal the end of LSU’s six-week fall practice period.

LSU opens the 2023 season on Friday, February 17, when the Tigers play host to Western Michigan in Game 1 of a three-game series in Alex Box Stadium, Skip Bertman Field.

Congrats Tigers

First time back on the board for a while. Was on my annual hunting trip in the Midwest. Congrats on Beating Bama and winning the West!! Exciting times to be a Tiger Fan. Kelly seems to be really doing a good job of transitioning this program and that is going to pay great dividends in the coming years. Just wanted to get back on here and say “Go Tigers”. Cheers, Hunter

OFF TOPIC Problems with NIL/Portal

Saban in the past has had a propensity to come after LSU players, Savion what's his face , Elias Ricks, and Kayshon Boutte. I'd look for Saban to try something similar with Perkins. Perkins is proving to be a game changer; imo Saban ,as slimey as he is , wouldn't surprise me if he comes after Perkins. In fact, I wonder if he already is laying the groundwork.
I always thought Saban had a mole in the LSU athletic dept; however, now that Kelly has cleaned house maybe the preceding has been rectified.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT