ADVERTISEMENT

LSU FOOTBALL LSU looking to finish strong at struggling Texas A&M

"I respect them," said LSU receiver Jaray Jenkins. "They going to give us their best. We just got to worry about us and our preparation. We just know we have to go out there and execute at a high level that we have been. We can't get relaxed because this is the last game or we comfortable in our spot. We know we have something to play for and we just have to have that mindset when we play them."

LSU FOOTBALL LSU at No. 5 in College Football Playoff rankings

1. Georgia
2. Ohio State
3. Michigan
4. TCU

5. LSU
6. USC

"As we looked at it, the wins over Alabama and Mississippi carry the day more than the wins over UCLA and Oregon State." — College Football Playoff Committee chairman Boo Corrigan, speaking to the steady debate between LSU and USC at No. 5

Login to view embedded media

COTY Award

Who do you all think should be considered for Coach of The Year Award?
I don’t follow the football landscape like many of you do, but Coach BK has done an amazing job. To take on a depleted program of talent and less than 40 scholarships due to transfers, NFL aspirations,and graduations and change the culture of a team that is challenging for championships in one year is beyond belief. He has been a breath of fresh air.

LSU FOOTBALL Brian Kelly Monday updates

— Brian Kelly says Texas A&M is as talented a team LSU has played all year but, "This is their game. They'll play their absolute best against us."

— Kelly likes what Marlon Martinez did at center. Says Garrett Dellinger is more comfortable at guard and that's where he'll stay.

— Josh Williams is making progress with a knee sprain and the hope is he can play vs A&M.

— LSU will have Thanksgiving dinner together, Kelly said. Practice will be in the morning and then coaches, families and players will be there together for dinner.

— Quency Wiggins is redshirting this year. Kelly is excited about his future: "He's learning how to play the game the right way and excited about him moving forward."

— Kelly said Derrick Davis is done for the year too as he’s redshirting. When asked about Davis playing RB, Kelly said they should have moved him sooner.

— Kelly was asked about the possibility of DC Matt House being poached for another opportunity. He basically said he thinks House and his family are happy, but if a coach gets a good opportunity and it's best for him to leave he wouldn't stand in the way. Also, "I don't think Matt came here to be the defensive coordinator for a year.”

— Kelly confirmed that Jayden Daniels also had the flu against Arkansas.

— Noah Cain helped himself with his performance against UAB and expect to see more of him with Armoni Goodwin out.

RECRUITING Monday morning recruiting notes

Saturday wasn't ideal conditions for the LSU team or hosting recruits and families with the continuous rain and 40 degree temps but LSU made the most of the situation with a win on the field and hosting several in-state targets. This morning I wanted to focus specifically on a handful of out-of-state guys after talking to sources Sunday.

Let's start with 2024 OLB Sterling Dixon, who's announcing on December 1 -- he's down to Alabama, Auburn and LSU and I like where the Tigers are with the four-star, so much so that I put in a FutureCast for him over the weekend. He attended the game in Baton Rouge over the weekend and at this point he's been to LSU more times than I can count this year it seems.

Dixon previously told Rivals this about LSU: “I know a bunch of their players like Desmond Little. He talks to me a lot. Their coaches talk to me a lot. They treat me like family. I can play early there and play multiple positions there. That will help get me ready for the NFL.”

We all know LSU needs a defensive tackle, or two depending what Jaquelin Roy does, but Brian Kelly and Brian Polian had a familiar face visiting in Baton Rouge over the weekend in Jacob Lacey, a Notre Dame transfer DT. Lacey left Notre Dame before playing his fifth game this year, meaning he will have two years of eligibility wherever he transfers. He's already visited Wake Forest, Oklahoma and Kentucky but did this visit to Baton Rouge seal the deal? A source tells me LSU is feeling pretty good about landing Lacey and fairly confident LSU could be his future home whenever he's ready to decide but it could still be a couple of weeks before a decision is officially made. I still believe Kentucky would be the biggest threat being his hometown team but it sounds promising for LSU following the weekend.

LSU has its 2023 quarterback with Rickie Collins, its 2024 QB in reclassified Colin Hurley and Joe Sloan hasn't already started developing relationships with 2025s. One to keep an eye on over the next year or two is Mississippi's Emile Picarella, who was back on campus this weekend. It's certainly not the first time he has visited and likely won't be the last. Picarella is a Top 100 recruit and currently a four-star. I'm sure Ole Miss and Mississippi State will be the biggest threats down the stretch but there's some history with LSU and the Picarella family. Below is a picture of Emile as a kid and his mom in Tiger Stadium for a game. Kind of a cool full circle moment if they grew up as LSU fans to be back in the stadium but this time as a recruit.

ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT